Tuesday, March 02, 2021

Read with Me






 When I was a little girl I would bring Dr. Seuss books home for my mother to read to us at bedtime because they were tongue twisters and she would sometimes stumble....and I liked that.  She would probably laugh about it and that would be my favorite thing.  Laughing together.


My three favorite Dr. Seuss books for beginning readers are;

How the Grinch Stole Christmas

One fish Two Fish Red Fish Blue Fish

Hop on Pop


They rhyme and are silly.  The Grinch even has a message I can get behind.


A few other children's books from my childhood that I find are wonderful for early readers are books by P.D. Eastman;


Are You My Mother?

Go Dog Go


and two more very beloved teaching books...





Put me in the Zoo by Robert Lopshire

A Fly Went By by Mike McClintock





These last two seem to be more unusual but I just love them.  I've brought my own copies in to school to read with my struggling readers.  The stories are lively and both have surprise endings.



I love Harold and Piggie by Mo Willems...they are two funny dudes and I love Frog and Toad by Arnold Lobel.  









What are your very favorite beginning readers?  


Encourage one another,  Donna Elsie


4 comments:

  1. "I sat by the lake, I looked at the sky, and as I looked, a fly went by! A fly went by, he said 'Oh Dear!'..." definitely one of our favorites and I had it memorized for a long time. We also love Put Me In the Zoo and Go Dog Go (anytime someone in our family puts on a hat they have to ask "Do you like my hat?" and we'll reply either "I do not like your hat! Goodbye!" or "I do! What a hat!" The Dr. Seuss Alphabet book is a long time favorite (Big A, Little A, what begins with A? Aunt Annie's Alligator. A. A. A). Wacky Wednesday and There's A Wocket in My Pocket were also favorites from the Dr Seuss collection. Non-Suessical books that were our favorites were the Virginia Lee Burton books (The Little House Book, Maybelle the Cable Car, Katie and the Big Snow, Choo Choo, and Mike Mulligan and Maryanne). And now I need to go dig them all off the shelves and read them all again...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love all the Margaret Wise Brown books too. The Important book and the Big Red Barn. These are more for listening to...instead of reading, don't you think. They have such a lilting tone....and of course Good Night Moon.

      Delete
  2. ANYTHING by Mo Willems - Elephant and Piggy, The Pigeon books, Edwina the Dinosaur Who Didn't Know She Was Extinct - all of his books have so much heart. And bonus, each book has a moment of aggravation or joy where the reader gets to shout. So much fun with my kids.

    ReplyDelete
  3. The first book I remember reading and rereading all by myself is Blueberries for Sal by Robert McCloskey. It is a picture book, but the words seemed to ring in my young brain, "One day, little Sal went with her mother to Blueberry hill to pick blueberries...Little Sal picked three berries and dropped them in her little tin pail...kuplink, kuplank, kuplunk!" I think I drove my mother crazy saying those last three words denoting the sound of the berries hitting the tin pail. And, the illustrations were so genuine. Sal's mother looked like my mother in her skirt, sweater and leather slip-on shoes. Thank you Donna for bringing back such lovely memories. love and prayers, jep

    ReplyDelete

Hello. So nice to see you. Would you like to leave a comment? Be very kind.