Sunday, July 30, 2023

Add to the Beauty: A Summer Visit















I took a short trip up to Minocqua to see two of my sisters and enjoy some time on the lake.
I saw loons and eagles and hummingbirds and deer.
But I will remember most, the remembering.
It's not easy to remember things from fifty years ago, but it's darn fun to try.

Thank you Cindy, Pat and Nancy!
Love you all so much.





“You may be as different as the sun and the moon, but the same blood flows through both your hearts. You need her, as she needs you...”
~Martin


****


“For there is no friend like a sister
In calm or stormy weather;
To cheer one on the tedious way,
To fetch one if one goes astray,
To lift one if one totters down,
To strengthen whilst one stands”
~Rossetti



*****



“We hug, but there are no tears. For every awful thing that's been said and done, she is my sister. Parents die, daughters grow up and marry out, but sisters are for life. She is the only person left in the world who shares my memories of our childhood, our parents, our Shanghai, our struggles, our sorrows, and, yes, even our moments of happiness and triumph. My sister is the one person who truly knows me, as I know her. The last thing May says to me is 'When our hair is white, we'll still have our sister love.”
~Lisa See



******



I love this piece by a brother describing his sisters,


“My sisters were the coolest people I knew, and still are. I have always aspired to be like them and know what they know. My sisters were the color and noise in my black-and-white boy world-how I pitied my friends who had brothers. Boys seemed incredibly tedious and dim compared to my sisters, who were always a rush of energy and excitement, buzzing over all the books, records, jokes, rumors and ideas we were discovering together. I grew up thriving on the commotion of their girl noise, whether they were laughing or singing or staging an intervention because somebody was wearing stirrup pants. I always loved being lost in that girl noise.”
~Bob Sheffield, Talking to girls about Duran, Duran




Encourage one another,
Donna






 

2 comments:

  1. Lovely! My sister is so precious to me, too. We're blessed. B.

    ReplyDelete

Hello. So nice to see you. Would you like to leave a comment? Be very kind.