Tuesday, June 27, 2017

Einstein and Tolstoy

I just finished watching the National Geographic series called Genius.  It was so well done.  The math descriptions were the best!  Albert was able to explain his lofty ideas and theory's with the simplest examples and the cinematographers brought it to life brilliantly.
It jumps around thru time...and perhaps that was on purpose :o}

Albert loved Tolstoy.  He reads from a big think book in the final episode.

It was very touching and beautiful.  I jotted down the words and looked them up.

(What did we do before Google)


Love is life.
All, everything that I understand,
I understand only because I love.
Everything is, everything exists,
only because I love.
Everything is united by it alone.
Love is God, 
and to die means that I, a particle of love, 
shall return to the general and eternal source.


The final part was not in the show.  But it seems like Albert would really love those last lines.


At one point, Einstein's assistant tells him to reconcile with his son.
He is hesitant.  


Helen: "You have compassion for so many people. You fight for so many people. Why is it you cannot fight to reconcile with your own son?"
Einstein: "I think I liked you better when you kept your thoughts to yourself."
Helen: "You care so much about your legacy, about how you will be remembered by the world. But the world begins and ends in your own family."






The world begins and ends in your family.

You know, I love that.
Donna Elsie


p.s.  Thank you Heidi for fixing the above picture. The picture has a big tear in it and she figured a way to edit it in photoshop.  
That's Suzy and dad and me.
We lived in California for one year, 1960.
We are 3 1/2 and 2 1/2. 
Dad was 32 1/2. 
Matthew's age.

p.s. The Tolstoy quote is from War and Peace.













12 comments:

  1. Beautiful. Photos and message.
    Thanks, Donna Elsie xxx

    (I'm a bit jetlagged and sleepless over here ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. So perfectly beautiful. I would love to see that series.

    Thanks for posting, Donna dear.

    Always,
    Di

    ReplyDelete
  3. Amy J in WI7:11 PM

    So beautiful! I see that Genius is available on Amazon. We will be watching it soon :).

    ReplyDelete
  4. "Love is life." BIG love for this post. The picture made me feel all weepy. So beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Beautiful, Donna!

    ReplyDelete
  6. So loved your story today. Your gift is sharing your heart. I seem to grow a little bit from your words every time I read your blog. I forgot that I fixed that pic. Glad it meant meant something to. "Ring the bells that still can ring, forget your perfect offering, there is a crack in everything, that's how the light gets in."

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for sharing that amazing quote Heidi, and for the very kind words.

      Delete
  7. Beautiful, Donna. I'm hoping the series will come out on DVD so I can buy it for my Dad for his birthday. It sounds perfect, and he is hard to buy for. I love that photo of your dad.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh my. So many emotions looking at that photo of you with your dad and sister. I'm so glad Heidi knew how to fix it for you.

    ReplyDelete
  9. We watched it too! Completely loved the show and the actors, hate that it's over now. Love the photo too...so sweet.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Anonymous10:35 PM

    "The world begins and ends in your own family." I love this so much. Thank you for all the beauty. The picture of you, your sister, and your dad is just wonderful. I am sure you treasure it.

    Debbie Z.

    ReplyDelete

Hello. So nice to see you. Would you like to leave a comment? Be very kind.