Saturday, September 04, 2004

Jealousy

There was a time when I struggled with jealousy and discontent.
Growing older, growing in my faith and becoming thankful has helped me overcome those characteristics.

I used to read romance novels and pour over home building magazines.

They were terrible for me. Everyone in a Danielle Steele book is pretty and thin and rich and desirable to the most lovely. Those homes building magazines had me wishing for something other than what I had. "If I lived on the coast, this is the house I would build....If I was really rich, this is the house I would build and this is the cottage..."

Ugh.

I was a mess.

Fortunately I grew and changed and put away those seemingly innocent diversions (the books and magazines).

Now I read the tragedies. hehehehe

Now I can househunt and admire beautiful homes without the old lustful feelings.

I still lust after 'things' more than I should...but I feel much less green than I did 10 years ago.



Our envy of others devours us most of all.
-Alexander Solzhenitsyn


Gratitude is not only the greatest of virtues, but the parent of all others.
-Cicero (106 BC - 43 BC), 'Pro Plancio,' 54 B.C.


Please, understand, I am not bragging here. I will probably be hit with a big old jealous fit sometime this weekend...I am not entirely cured.

Just more aware of the things that encouraged my envy.

Encourage one another,
Donna


No comments:

Post a Comment

Hello. So nice to see you. Would you like to leave a comment? Be very kind.