Thursday, May 11, 2006

I am so tickled by the dancing dude that I just want to leave that up....forever.

Silly huh?

Make sure you check it out on the Wednesday post.

*********


But seriously, the viewpoint/worldview in The Picture of Dorian Grey is so different from anything I have ever read ...I am very intrigued.

What will be the consequences to such radical thinking?

Susan Wise Bauer teaches that when we read, we should ask;
What do the character's want?
Is it true?

I wonder what will happen to the characters who make such an idol of youth?

I guess I can just look around at our culture and see the answer to that.



William Goldman jests about this very topic in The Princess Bride.

In his countdown to the most beautiful woman in the world (who is Buttercup)
he lists the women who came before her.

He tells of Adela's plight;

Well of course I'll always be sensitive, she thought, and I'll always be rich, but I don't quite see how I'm going to manage to always be young. And when I'm not young, how am I going to stay perfect? And if I'm not perfect, well, what else is there? What indeed? Adela furrowed her brow in desperate thought. It was the first time in her life her brow had ever to furrow, and Adela gasped when she realized what she had done, horrified that she had somehow damaged it, perhaps permanently. She rushed back to her mirror and spent the morning, and although she managed to convince herself that she was still quite as perfect as ever, there was no question that she was not quite as happy as she had been.
She began to fret.
The first worry lines appeared within a fortnight; the first wrinkles within a month, and before the year was out, creases abounded.




...ah...the meaning of life....


When grace is joined with wrinkles, it is adorable. There is an unspeakable dawn in happy old age. ~Victor Hugo


And do not be conformed to this world, but be transformed by the renewing of your mind, that you may prove what the will of God is, that which is good and acceptable and perfect.
Romans 12:2



Encourage one another.
Donna

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hello. So nice to see you. Would you like to leave a comment? Be very kind.