Wednesday, December 22, 2004

On the road again...

I will be driving Emma's friend, Marie, to her home today(in Menominee Michigan), visiting with friends and bringing my brother-in-law Paulie back to Madison for Christmas.

So in my absence, I have a question for you readers and watchers of Pride and Prejudice to ponder.

At the very end of the book and the movie, Elizabeth's father is discussing Mr. Darcy's attributes with his daughter Lizzy;

``Have you any other objection,'' said Elizabeth, ``than your belief of my indifference?''

``None at all. We all know him to be a proud, unpleasant sort of man; but this would be nothing if you really liked him.''

``I do, I do like him,'' she replied, with tears in her eyes, ``I love him. Indeed he has no improper pride. He is perfectly amiable. You do not know what he really is; then pray do not pain me by speaking of him in such terms.''


Here is my question, and excuse me for being dense, but I won't know the answer if I don't ask...

When Elizabeth says "Indeed he has no improper pride." What exactly does she mean?

Is she saying, 'yes, he is proud", 'no, he is not proud', or perhaps 'the pride that he has is proper.'

In the movie she says this line with a very sweet tone which leads me to believe she is not saying he is proud...

Ah well...

Discuss amongst yourselves while I am away...



I look forward to being educated when I return home :o)

Encourage one another,
Donna

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hello. So nice to see you. Would you like to leave a comment? Be very kind.