Saturday, December 15, 2007

Hello.

Today you will I will try to explain in a non verbal way how to knit a thumb.

Chocolatechic is dying to know.

And if she lived here in town. We would go to the local yarn store and I would show her and we would drink hot chocolate.

And it would be oh so easy to do.

It's a little harder in print. At least for my learning and teaching style.

But here's my attempt.

And if you don't knit and have no interest in knitting a thumb....

Scroll down and I'm sure I will come up with a brilliant and inspiring poem or quote to send you on your way :o)

p.s. That little homeschooler must has told all her pals to vote....cause this morning I am way behind.

Ah well.

That's how it goes, and snows and grows and flows.....

What am I talking about?

So knitting....

blog-knitting a thumb
Is this too big?
Largest picture ever posted on my blog.

Following your mitten pattern you will come to a section that says (something like this)

First increase row for thumb gore--right side-K 15 stitches (on two needles this will get you to the middle of your hand)
inc. 1 st. in next st., k 1 , inc. 1 st. in next stitch. (I wrote a 3 in my first increase row in the picture)
knit to end of row.


Work even. (for as many rows as you pattern says. You will not do a thumb increase row every row. You will knit past it two or three times depending on the size of the mitten)

2nd increase row--K 15
inc. 1 stitch in next st., k 3, inc. 1 st. in the next st. ,
knit to the end of the row.

Work even.

3rd increase row--Knit 15 and do the increases like before but knit two more in between from now on.


7,9,11,13,15...and so on. Usually you stop with the thumb increases around 17 stitches.

Look up at the picture.

Can you see the increase dot...the number 3 and the other increase dot.
That is showing what the pattern says to do.

After you have knit around and around you will slide the 17 (or so) stitches on to a stitch holder.

Now you will continue to knit round and around or back and forth until your mitten is long enough.

Then you decrease in a round. Many ways to do this.
You know how to do this right?

So after the top of your mitten is done.

Go back to the thumb stitches that are waiting for you on the stitch holder.

Slide those on to your needles.

Knit until it is as long as your thumb....and decrease like you did for the top of the mitten.

Finish.


blog


blog

I'm sorry I don't have a thumb in progress to show you the stitch holder.
I'll be doing that soon and will post a picture then. Stay tuned.

I hope this helped.
Email me and I will answer any questions.

*************


Here is a line up of mittens knit in the last few years....that I can find....and Im not promising that they all have matches.

I heart the red, white and green ones. They are my most favorite mittens I have ever knit...in the whole wide world.

The little tiny one is covered with burrs.

the line up


And this is the ugliest scarf I have ever knit in my life.

This yarn is yummy to knit with because it is soft....but, holy cow, it's so ugly knit up.

Beauty and the Beast

You knew it was going to be ugly, didn't you Lynn. Admit it.


***********


It is amazing how complete is the delusion that beauty is goodness. ~Leo Tolstoy


Now. that. is. deep.


I hope you have lost your good looks, for while they last any fool can adore you, and the adoration of fools is bad for the soul. No, give me a ruined complexion and a lost figure and sixteen chins on a farmyard of Crow's feet and an obvious wig. Then you shall see me coming out strong.

~George Bernard Shaw, to Mrs. Patrick Campbell

I don't really know what was going on with George and Mrs. Campbell....but man, that's a funny quote.



"Heirloom" is knitting code for "This pattern is so difficult that you would consider death a relief.
~Stephanie Pearl-McPhee, At Knit's End: Meditations for Women Who Knit Too Much


Really, all you need to become a good knitter are wool, needles, hands, and slightly below-average intelligence. Of course, superior intelligence, such as yours and mine, is an advantage.
~Elizabeth Zimmerman


That last one is a repeat....but I love it so much.


Now, off you go...

It's a new day.

Be a blessing :o)

Encourage one another,
Donna

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hello. So nice to see you. Would you like to leave a comment? Be very kind.