Tuesday, June 02, 2015

Moonbeams of love

Tonight I will be watching for the rising of the Strawberry Moon.  Last night I tried to find the almost Strawberry Moon but it was slow to rise above our low hills and tall trees.  Katie and I climbed to one of the highest spots in our town to spot it...but we did not see it.  (7:30)
But at nine my husband spotted it from our family room window and said the better view is from our drive way.  So I went out to look. It was a nice white nearly full moon.  Not the gigantic orb rising from the horizon, but it was pretty anyway.

  As I was standing on the driveway, Emma texted that she was looking at the moon.
I get all mushy when I am looking at the moon and someone I love is also looking at the moon.

We are joined by moonbeams and love and shared experience.

I asked Emma if she remembered Big Bird singing in Follow That Bird?
And of course she did.






I wondered if she remembered Feivel singing Somewhere Out there from American Tail?



Somewhere out there
Beneath the pale moonlight
Someone's thinking of me
And loving me tonight.

Somewhere out there
Someone's saying a prayer
That we'll find one another
In that big somewhere out there

And even though I know how very far apart we are
It helps to think we might be wishing on the same bright star
And when the night wind starts to sing a lonesome lullaby
It helps to think we're sleeping underneath the same big sky

Somewhere out there
If love can see us through
Then we'll be together
Somewhere out there
Out where
dreams come true



Just before I went to bed, my son Patrick posted a picture of the moon on his Instagram.
I mentioned the childhood movies to him and he quoted something back that I had forgotten...

"I'd like to visit the moon, on a rocket ship high in the air,
yes I'd like to visit the moon, but I don't think I'd like to live there." ~Ernie





"I would miss all the people and places I love."

sniff.
so sweet.




I think about Shakespeare too.


“When he shall die,
Take him and cut him out in little stars,
And he will make the face of heaven so fine
That all the world will be in love with night
And pay no worship to the garish sun.”



And finally this song from my childhood...
I don't know what version we played on our stereo...but I know every word of this very beautiful song.






And that Charlie Brown is what moon gazing is all about.



Wishing you Moonbeams of love tonight.
Donna







23 comments:

  1. Oh, that moon. And these songs. Siiiigh.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for this sweet, nostalgic post!!

    We had Follow that Bird on VHS and adored it ... ahhh the memories.

    Jimmy Durante singing that lovely standard with the fancy orchestra reminds me of Sleepless in Seattle, "Make someone happy ..." when they go down the elevator from the Empire State Building. Sigh.

    Random fact: I used to be able to play "Somewhere, Out There" on the piano, for my children's amazement/amusement ;-) Many moons ago !

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We did too. Follow that bird is silly and sad. My favorite part is the Dodo family. They are such Dodos!!!

      Delete
    2. Donny and Marie :-P

      "Se-Saim" street.

      Grouch Diner.

      Love it.

      Delete
  3. This post sent moonbeams of love straight to my heart! The coincidences, the songs, the memories. Beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I just wanted you to know that this post - and specifically your reference to American Tail - just brought back a flood of fond childhood memories. Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is the sweetest thing I have read in a very long time. I love how you love them.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Need to watch American Tail with my kids. That last song is in The Notebook. Can't even listen to it without tearing up...

    ReplyDelete
  7. Who is sweeter? Ernie the muppet? or Ernie Pantuso (Coach on Cheers)?

    ReplyDelete
  8. Both SO sweet.

    Ernie Boucher. I don't hate it. :o)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Anonymous12:35 PM

    Donna, this post is so special! I have always had an obsession with the moon and when my kids would little I would drag them outside to see a magnificent one and say che bella luna, "that beautiful moon". Your line "we are joined by moonbeams and love and shared experience" is just lovely. And I hadn't thought about Somewhere Out There for a very long time and it brings back wonderful memories of my children being young. You are so good at helping us all remember beautiful things. Thank you so much.

    Debbie Z.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are welcome Debbie.

      I LOVE your italian saying. You have taught me something very special today!

      Che bella luna.

      Italian is so beautiful

      Delete
  10. lovely post. Lovely connections to your loved ones via la bella luna

    ReplyDelete
  11. Thanks Donna for this lovely post. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Anonymous2:56 PM

    This is great, Donna! Thanks for taking me back to my childhood. : )

    Sarah P. from Iowa

    ReplyDelete
  13. I've always had a mild obsession with the moon and one of my favorite movies is "Moonstruck"-- just lovely, so many beautiful quotes / lines, and maybe this inappropriate but it's said with such passion by Nicolas Cage's character, it's one of my favorites:

    Ronny Cammareri: Loretta, I love you. Not like they told you love is, and I didn't know this either, but love don't make things nice - it ruins everything. It breaks your heart. It makes things a mess. We aren't here to make things perfect. The snowflakes are perfect. The stars are perfect. Not us. Not us! We are here to ruin ourselves and to break our hearts and love the wrong people and *die*. The storybooks are *bullshit*. Now I want you to come upstairs with me and *get* in my bed!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Anonymous3:38 PM

    My DH and I were out on our neighborhood prayer walk yesterday (at 4:45AM) and there in the sky was this beautiful Strawberry (Full) Moon just hanging in a golden glow over the elementary school. We saw it again this morning, too.

    I so like all of the quotes and songs today and remember them well. Sesame St. was a staple at our house. My first piano piece was Moon River. My piano teacher could not find an easy version for the beginner that I was, so she created a piece just for me. I was so excited, but ended up being so scared at the recital that I missed the ending and just started again, missed the ending Again, and finally stopped. I think I was in junior high at the time....what a lovely song, but a not great performance. ;-) love and prayers, jep

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Last night when I was composing this post I thought of Moon River. But forgot it by this morning. It's especially charming in B at Tiff. I'm sorry your recital was "trying" .

      Delete
  15. Oh, the sky with its clouds, stars, sun, and moon. I see such beauty there. Thanks for your evocative writng. Hugs!

    ReplyDelete
  16. The moon will always remind me of my husband. It is a beautiful sight.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Thanks to this post, I had to go and order Elmopalooza DVD from Amazon... so that I can listen to I Don't Want to Live on the Moon... We had (maybe still have..) a VHS copy of it, when my children were small, but now that they are 14, 18 & 20, I need to add a copy of this for my future grandchildren.. thanks for reminding me!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Anonymous8:14 PM

    I love that song from American Tale. It makes me tear up every time!

    ReplyDelete
  19. I've always been infatuated with the moon. When it's full, it lights up the night sky and you can see the craters on it. It is beautiful to photograph although it can be challenging. I'll look for it tonight and see if I can see it. We have so many trees around us, it's hard to get a good shot without leaving the house. xox

    ReplyDelete

Hello. So nice to see you. Would you like to leave a comment? Be very kind.