Monday, April 26, 2004

The good parts version

Carmon at Buried Treasure is commerating National Poetry Month with few poems this morning. I thought I would join her and share portions of poems that sing in my ear.

There are two reasons for posting only portions...I am assuming ( which may be wrong, I know) your attention spans are like mine...short, and to be honest many times when I read a poem I hit a bit that I don't understand.
So instead of posting the whole poem I'll link it and if you like the sound and are curious about the 'rest of the story' you may go off and ponder further in the quiet of your....bathroom....closet...

Here is a bit from Ode on Intimations of Immortality by Wordsworth;

"Then sing, ye Birds, sing, sing a joyous song!
And let the young Lambs bound
As to the tabor's sound!
We in thought will join your throng,
Ye that pipe and ye that play,
Ye that through your hearts today
Feel the gladness of the May!

What though the radiance which was once so bright
Be now for ever taken from my sight,
Though nothing can bring back the hour
Of splendour in the grass, or glory in the flower;
We will grieve not, rather find
Strength in what remains behind;....

and the final haunting words...

To me the meanest flower that blows can give
Thoughts that do often lie too deep for tears."

A good part from The Barefoot Boy

"Blessings on thee, little man,
Barefoot boy, with cheek of tan!
With thy turned-up pantaloons,
And thy merry whistled tunes;
With thy red lip, redder still,
Kissed by strawberries on the hill;
With the sunshine on thy face,
Through thy torn brim's jaunty grace,
From my heart I give thee joy,-
I was once a barefoot boy."
-John Greenleaf Whittier

Moonlight

"How sweet the moonlight sleeps upon this bank!
Here will we sit, and let the sound of music
Creep in our ears: soft stillness, and the night,
Become the touches of sweet harmony."

-William Shakespeare
from "The Merchant of Venice"

Not everything Shakespeare wrote is difficult to understand :o)
_________

I see the moon and the moon sees me,
God bless the moon and God bless me.

Encourage one another,
Donna

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hello. So nice to see you. Would you like to leave a comment? Be very kind.