Tuesday, March 07, 2006

Bits and pieces from my notes

The panel discussion went well. I suppose. I am not the one to ask tho.
I was not as eloquent as I would have liked. But...ah well.

In preparing for the evening I was able to encourage myself about the choice I made seven years ago to pursue this method of education.

The Bluedorns reminded me that the Classical Trivium produces thinkers.

"By mastering these basic tools of learning, the classical method creates self-teaching students who are able to move forward and master any area of learning on their own."


They also say that Classical education follows a Biblical model.

The Grammar Stage , the Logic stage and the Rhetoric stages grew from a Biblical model of Knowledge, Understanding and Wisdom.

I like this quote from Susan Wise Bauer and Jessie Wise;

"Classical education has to do with setting up solid foundations, with learning how to learn, with mental discipline and intellectual curiosity, and a willingness to grapple with lessons of the past."



And Why Latin?

In a nutshell...

1. "Latin trains the mind to think in a n orderly fashion"

"the Latin trained mind becomes accustomed to paying attention to detail...(this pays off in Math and Science.)"


2. Latin improves English skills.

3. Latin prepares the student for the study of other languages



I actually think my experiment on Emma is working.

I really do think her Latin has helped her think well in Science and Math.
She does very well in her Science class. They must keep a journal and write questions and observations and she has been doing a great job with this task. Also she is successfully teaching herself Algebra II.


That amazes me.

Would Emma have learned to think well without the Classical method. It's very possible.

But I think I will approach Katie's schoolwork with the same Classical model.
I have been reminded of the virtues of Classical Education.


BUT, can you believe I will start all over again???

Katie will be in 1st grade and Emma will be in 12th.

Yikes.

Really...the first four years are a breeze...


Encourage one another,
Donna

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hello. So nice to see you. Would you like to leave a comment? Be very kind.