Wednesday, May 19, 2004

How come?

Have you ever thought of why we use the phrase How Come? for the word
Why?

_______

Faith comments in the comments,

"I think it would be interesting to have readers list what books are on their nightstands."

Here is what is on my nightstand this week.

Understood Betsy (read and loved)
The Letters of John and Abigal Adams
The Dutch Twins (two chapters read)
Fortune's Daughter
A Lantern in Her Hand (reading now)
The Schwarzbein Principle
Recovering the Lost Tools of Learning
The Travels of Jaimie McPheeters (almost too thick to start)

I would love to read every one of these books...but I am a pretty slow reader and usually have to return many of them to the library before I read them all.



I am reminded of a standard that I have strayed away from a bit. Last month I was reading a book that was highly recommended by a few friends. The book slipped into intimate situations that made me feel very uncomfortable to be reading. Instead of reading on...I decided to return it to the library.

"Finally, brethern, whatever is true, whatever is honorable, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is of good repute, if there is any excellence and if anything worthy of praise, let your mind dwell on these things."
Philippians 4:8


I fall short of this standard in many ways...every day. Of course it applies to television and radio and conversation...

It is a good verse to know by heart. In more ways than one.

Encourage one another,
Donna

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hello. So nice to see you. Would you like to leave a comment? Be very kind.