Saturday, January 03, 2009

**


Bless you, my darling, and remember you are always in the heart - oh tucked so close there is no chance of escape - of your sister.

- Katherine Mansfield


20090103_4356-2

Cindy has already come and gone!

Here is a picture of her this morning heading back to Missouri!

She has great style, doesn't she? And she is just so fun to be around.

Come back soon, Cindy! Your white coat is here ;o)

(Just kidding....I will send it to you.....a true act of sisterly love, I tell ya)

"I'll say", says Patrick.


***

Last night we stopped at Trader Joe's after our pizza and Greek salads.

Patrick spotted something very special on the bread shelves;


20090103_4351


Over 50 years ago our grandfather (from Greece) bought a bakery in Chicago.
The bakery has since been sold but the company that purchased the bakery has kept the logo and the bakery's name.
National Baking Co. aka Golden Hearth.

All of our father's siblings worked at the bakery. Scores of Greek immigrants worked at the bakery.
My husband worked at the bakery when we were first married.

It is still OUR bakery, in our hearts.

We were so tickled to spot this loaf of Golden Hearth at Trader Joe's.

Pretty darn cool :o)



"How can a nation be great if its bread tastes like Kleenex?"
Julia Child


“Good bread is the most fundamentally satisfying of all foods; and good bread with fresh butter, the greatest of feasts.”
James Beard (1903-1985)


"I am going to learn to make bread to-morrow. So you may imagine me with my sleeves rolled up, mixing flour, milk, saleratus, etc., with a deal of grace. I advise you if you don't know how to make the staff of life to learn with dispatch."
Emily Dickinson, American poet (1830-1886)



Oh gosh. Perhaps I should try again with the bread baking this year.

Last year I tried and flopped and did not try a second time.

Anyone want to invite me over and give me a tutorial on bread baking?

I'll take pictures :o)


Happy Weekending!


Encourage one another,
Donna

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hello. So nice to see you. Would you like to leave a comment? Be very kind.