Thursday, July 03, 2014

Pimento Cheese, Please.

When I was still in high school I visited my sister Nancy at college in Missouri.  She had a care package in her room from our mom.  In this package I remember seeing a little jar of pimento cheese.  Huh....I thought...Nancy likes pimento cheese.
Mom knew this.
I did not.

Then a few years ago my friend Dana posted a recipe on her blog for pimento cheese.
Homemade.  She is from the south.  Pimento cheese is a big deal in the south.

So I bought a jar of pimento cheese.
It was blah.

In the last few years I have seen pimento cheese on hamburgers at fancy hamburger places.
I tried one.  It was delicious but the chef put something REALLY hot on that burger. 
It killed my tongue.  (I have a condition on my tongue that makes me very sensitive to hot spices. Yes.  It's true.)

So last week I had a hankering for pimento cheese.

I searched the handy dandy internet for Dana's recipe. 
(It was from 2005.  We have known one another for a long time.)


Link to Dana's blog.




So here is Dana's recipe.



White Sharp Cheddar Cheese, 18 oz grated (Cabot)
Diced Pimentos, drained (canned veggie aisle - usually) 9 oz
Garlic, freshly pressed -  two cloves
Sweet Onion, finely grated - one heaping tablespoon
Mayonnaise (no sugar - look for Duke's) - probably a full cup, but start with 2/3 C and add until mixture stirs easily (that will make it easier to spread when chilled)


Up north we do not have Dukes.  I used Hellman's.
I halved the recipe.
I did use white cheddar.
Our pimentos come in smaller jars. 
It is easy and delicious.
The garlic has a real kick, but gosh, YOLO.

Yesterday I made a grilled pimento cheese sandwich.

Did you ever have a grilled cheese sandwich made with homemade pimento cheese? #myfirst #yum


I heartily recommend this recipe.  Good on crackers and celery and burgers and sandwiches.
A taste of the south.  Thank you Dana!!!


Encourage one another,
Donna

29 comments:

  1. Anonymous10:40 AM

    I.love.food. I will try this. The sandwich looks perfect.

    Thanks!
    Sarah P. from Iowa

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. "I love food."

      My favorite quote of the day, Sarah!

      Delete
    2. {{{LIKE}}}

      Me too!!

      Delete
  2. Yummy! I am going to print this for my Mom! I think she would love to make it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Bought the ingredients! Do u have geographic tongue? My Syd does.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes. That's it. When I was little I coudln't drink pop because it hurt my tongue.
      I was only told I had this a few years ago. I think it got more sensitive after Katie was born (oddly) I looked it up and it turns out that geographic tongue can make you very sensitive. Voila. Can she drink pop?

      Delete
    2. Janice4:20 PM

      Hey, my tongue got super sensitive when I had Spencer! I can't eat spicy things anymore :( I need to look up geographic tongue now.

      Delete
    3. Soda doesn't seem to bother her, but she can't eat anything citrus, spicy foods, lemonade, cinnamon and several other things. Her school nurse called this year panicked that she was having an allergic reaction and wanted me to come and get her! Needless to say---introduced that nurse to geo tongue

      Delete
  4. Oh that looks tasty!! Yummo :-)

    And such a pretty plate, too.

    ReplyDelete
  5. thanks for sharing one of my favorite recipes ~

    and I cant resist sharing that adding a little (1/2 cup) pimento cheese to the traditional squash casserole recipe adds a tasty flair; just reduce (or eliminate) the amount of butter used

    ReplyDelete
  6. When I have pimento cheese in my house, I won't eat anything else. In sandwiches, on crackers, on burgers, I have to eat it until it's gone. I guess it's an obsession. That recipe looks close to what we make. Only sometimes we'll add a little cream cheese and jalepeno peppers. Goodness. I have to go buy some pimentos now! (My husband grew up with Dukes; my daddy always bought Hellman's. I thought I would never like Dukes, but now it's all I buy.) My grandmother had lichen planus and could not eat anything very acidic or hot. The things we take for granted...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I found a jar in the pantry! Off to make my lunch. ;)

      Delete
  7. I love pimento cheese, thanks for the recipe now I can have my pimento and olive spread. Yummmmm
    Brother Jim

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I didn't know that Jim :o)
      I think you will love it!

      Delete
    2. Janice4:21 PM

      It's genetic <3

      Delete
  8. Anonymous11:22 AM

    Looks delicious! I will have to try this. Cheese in general is one of my favorite foods. :)

    Mary Z

    ReplyDelete
  9. Janice11:38 AM

    This looks so delicious!!! I used to live on Liverwurst, Price's Pimento cheese and saltine crackers in college. Trader Joe's has a yummy one but I can't wait to try this recipe. I will prolly be the only one in the house who will eat it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I like being the only one who eats things. On road trips I always buy Good 'n Plenty so I can enjoy them all by myself (-:

      Di

      Delete
    2. Good 'n Plenty = good 'n yummy!!!!

      Delete
    3. Charlie says, "love my good and plenty."

      Delete
  10. Anonymous11:49 AM

    I have everything I need to make this except pimentos. I'll add them to the shopping list. So glad it uses white cheddar. My palate is not very fond of American cheese and many pimento cheese recipes use it. I bought my first jar of Duke's a couple of weeks ago after seeing it ranked #1 in Southern Living magazine (my handbook for all things southern since moving here. LOL.) I'm gonna make a batch of this for the 4th of July! :)

    Sandy C.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Anonymous11:53 AM

    That sandwich looks DELICIOUS!

    Debbie Z.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Anonymous12:42 PM

    This looks like something my whole family would enjoy! and that plate--gorgeous! Vintage or Target? ;) Bonnie M.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Target. Orla Kiely from a few years back. It's plastic :o)

      Delete
    2. She is wonderful - paid FULL price for a toiletries bag at Target last time home with her design. That's how much I love her!

      Delete
  13. I finally seem to be able to comment. I have been here, Donna, and yet my comments never seem to make it to the other side! Glad to be back.

    The grilled cheese and the mac 'n cheese trend is a good one. I like trying different additions, bacon being my fav. Will try pimentos soon.

    Di

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi! You are always a happy addition to the day. Thanks for letting me know you are around. Love ya!

      Delete
  14. You should go to the Masters in Augusta, the Pimento Cheese sandwich is very popular there, and I believe it only costs $2.50

    ReplyDelete
  15. Anonymous4:20 PM

    Pimento Cheese, Oh how I love you!!! This is a new to me recipe and I will have to try it.
    love and prayers, jep

    ReplyDelete

Hello. So nice to see you. Would you like to leave a comment? Be very kind.