Tuesday, November 08, 2011

64/365



20081212_3825-2


DSC_3164-8


Some of my favorite things to take pictures of.


***


Hey! Did you know, the three biggest trends in food are?

Red Cake

Salted Caramel

and

Nutella


If you spend any time looking at food blogs or Pinterest you will see....
people are obsessed with these foods.

I have seen Red Cake ice cream, Red Cake whoppie pies, Red cake cheese cake, red cake pancakes.
Then there is Salted Caramel drinks and brownies and apples and candies.
How about Nutella in everything? I remember Nutella from way back. But it has made a HUGE comeback.

Nutella is to food what Walgreen's is to pharmacies. Kinda.

Walgreen's has been around for a long time...but some clever business person took the company and grew it like crazy.
Same with Nutella. Is there a Nutella ice cream yet?

I have been making Red Cake with the boiled milk dressing since I first tasted it in 1980. Thank you Mrs. Jeffery for your recipe.
Most of the people I made the cake for had never heard of it, back in the day. But not know. It's everywhere.

It's interesting to see the fads come and go.

Owning a bakery we saw quite a few.

Remember when croissants were the big deal? Muffins?
Remember how popular Mrs. Fields was?

Yes. Food fads come and go.

I won't be making any caramel or nutella things...but these....
oh! These look good.




Red Cake Brownies


I would use my old frosting recipe. (Mrs. Jeffery)

Frosting for Red Cake

5 Tablespoons flour
1 cup sugar
1 cup milk
1 cup butter
1 teaspoon vanilla

Cook 5 T. flour and 1 cup milk over a low flame-stirring constantly- cool.
Cream 1 cup butter add 1 cup sugar and 1 t. vanilla.
Add cold flour mixture.
Beat this on high for 15 minutes.
Stop and scrap every five minutes.

It will look like whipped cream.



****

Our son Patrick needs to come home...then I will make these brownies.
His birthday cake of choice was the red cake. Don't they look amazing?


“Love is like a good cake; you never know when it's coming, but you'd better eat it when it does!”
― C. JoyBell C.


“My therapist told me the way to achieve true inner peace is to finish what I start. So far today, I have finished 2 bags of M&M's and a chocolate cake. I feel better already.”
― Dave Barry


More than any other dessert in the whole wide world, I would rather eat a moist, delicious, heavy with frosting piece of cake.
~Miz Booshay



Encourage one another,
Donna

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hello. So nice to see you. Would you like to leave a comment? Be very kind.