Saturday, November 15, 2008

POS-headed back to Nikon

Well, I finally did it.

I sent the Nikkor (Nikon) 50mm 1.4 back to Nikon.

The Camera Company that sold it to me is taking care of the shipping.

And now I will wait and see if they will either fix it or replace it.

It is an expensive little lens and as you may recall, it gave me nothing but blurry pictures 98% of the time.

I did a little experiment at the dentist the other day while Katie was having her teeth cleaned.

I took a picture of some little beads on a toy. First, I shot it at 1.4, then 1.6, and then 3.2 and 5.6.

The higher numbers were clear and perfect. The 1.4 and the 1.6 were still clearish...BUT they had a white halo
around the beads. What is with that?

Lots of times people don't like to shoot on those "wide open" numbers. (the 1.4 and the 1.6)
But this is why I bought the lens. To use those numbers.

Audrey Woulard shoots on those numbers and another fave photographer on Flickr just posted a
perfectly focused and non-fuzzy shot of her daughter shot at 50/1.4.
She shoot wide open all the time too.


So I finally decided it wasn't me.

And got the nerve to return it.

Now we shall see if Nikon makes good on their warranty and stands behind their product.


I am so thankful that I have two other lenses now. Last year at this time, I only had one lens.

I put my trusty 50mm 1.8 on the camera yesterday and Katie asked to stop my the park on the way home.

You can guess my answer.


20081114_2797-2

little dutch girl

The hat looks dutch in the second picture doesn't it?





I really like dutch things.

Did you know that?

And yes, I knit the hat.

One of my faves because it is so soft.
Alpaca.


****


"November always seemed to me the Norway of the year."
- Emily Dickinson



"The stripped and shapely
Maple grieves
The ghosts of her
Departed leaves.

The ground is hard,
As hard as stone.
The year is old,
The birds are flown.

And yet the world,
In its distress,
Displays a certain
Loveliness"
- John Updike, A Child's Calendar


20081114_2784-2

(this was taken on the way to pick Katie up at school. So dark at 2:30.
when did we move to the north pole? Even in Nov. , it's my favorite part of the drive.)


20081115_2839-2

20081115_2839-2cinnrosebw

Look who just popped in the door!
Surprise visit from our college girl.
She and Katie are off to the movies,
then we will meet at church and then out to eat.

Sounds like a really fun night!!!

:o)


Encourage one another,
Donna

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hello. So nice to see you. Would you like to leave a comment? Be very kind.