Friday, February 04, 2011

The Blog and I.

11pic


I'm going to be really honest today about something.

It will show you a few things about me.

I am human.
I am shallow.

I am thankful.
I am loved.


Perhaps like you.



****

I have been blogging for over seven years. For the most part six days a week.
I started blogging as a ministry to women and mothers. I wanted to encourage them to love their husbands and children.
To love God. To live a beautiful abundant life. At home.

That's the truth.

I have loved sharing pictures and poems and quotes and my life.
Still do.

I love sharing. It's much more fun with you.

And you have given me so much more than I have given you.

It's true.


So here is the other true thing. Part of me would like to make money for my daily work.

There it is. It would just be nice to get paid for something I do.

To get paid you must advertise. To make any amount of money blogging you must have lots of visitors.
Lots and Lots.

For years I had 150 visitors a day.
Not kidding.

Then I was around 500 a day for a few years.

Once I was linked and working for Ree at The Pioneer Woman I have ranged around
1700-2000 a day.

That may seem like a lot. And I wouldn't trade you all for a whole army of readers because I DO know how special this place is....
But it is not a lot. Not enough to get Federated Media's attention.

So. I was hoping this year, finally, to be nominated for a Bloggie.
I went out on a limb and asked a few sisters and friends to nominate me.

They did.

And I was still not chosen.

So I felt sorry for myself for approxamately 23 minutes and then got over myself.


I do not feel slighted about my photography....One year Cake Wrecks won. Funny pictures. But not good pictures.
And it won the photography award.

(Just an example)

There are other ways to get traffic. But I really am not interested in forcing the issue.
You see, it is very rare to make real money on your blog.

I don't think anyone will tell you this.
Dooce and Ree are lightning in a bottle.

You can not make it happen.
Your blog most likely will not support your family.


Mine will never support me.

But it does something more important and all I have to do is look back at the reason I started my blog.

If this blog was meant to support our family. It would.

It was not meant to be. It is not meant for that.
I am a volunteer :o)

It was and will always be a place to encourage you and share my life and make you laugh on a good day.


God does not put any importance on fame and money.

He has bigger fish to fry.

He is after our souls.


And that's the truth.


Encourage one another,
Donna

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hello. So nice to see you. Would you like to leave a comment? Be very kind.