Thursday, January 17, 2013

2 New "recipes", 2 great shows.

Tilapia with Lemon Pepper Butter

I bought the frozen Tilapia from Traders Joe's and was afraid to cook it.
I don't really like experimenting with food.  I worry about waste.

So I figured, how bad could this be.  I love lemon pepper, I love butter, I think I like Tilapia.
It was a good gamble.

1 Package Trader Joe's Tilapia
butter
lemon pepper
lemon
olive oil

8 x 8 pan

I poured a Tablespoon or so in the bottom of the pan.  I placed the thawed tilapia
on top of the oil.
Bake 425.
Six minutes first side.
Flip
Two/Three minutes on second side.

While baking fish,  melt  1/2 stick of butter in a pan.
Add the a few teaspoons of lemon pepper and the juice of 1/2 a lemon.
I may have used a clove of garlic, but I can't remember for sure.
Salt as needed.

When the fish was finished I put it on a plate and poured the sauce over it.

It was perfectly delicious.

****


I bought this Chili starter yesterday.



It is created by Rick Bayless.

The recipe says to use either one pound of chicken, pork or turkey.  I chose pork.
So I browned the pork, added this bottle of chili starter.
Added one cup of water.
Let it cook for 20 minutes.

And done.

I am very picky about soups in jars and cans.  I usually prefer making them myself.
But this one is really delicious.  The flavors are just right.
I loved it.
Highly recommended.


****

Two shows to watch.

Salmon Fishing in the Yemen

This movie was wonderful.  I think I liked it better than any other light romantic comedy I have seen this year.  It was pretty and interesting and sweet.  It's not that funny.
It's just a good story.

Ewan McGregor and Emily Blunt star and were both nominated for Golden Globes.  The movie was also nominated for a Golden Globe.

I didn't know anything about it....but watched it on a whim.

Highly Recommended.


****

I caught this show on PBS just the other night.  It was one of the most interesting and delightful things I have seen on television....ever.

Prince Charles sits and watches home movies.  He talks about his mom, the Queen.
He giggles over and over while watching himself a a little boy.
He tells stories about his parents.
The movies are charming.



Hey!  Look.  I found the whole thing on YouTube.  We shall see how long this will be available....
but if you would like to see it. Here it is.

It is an amazing (to me) to peek into the lives of the Royals.
I especially appreciated how jolly Prince Phillip was in the movies.

(I have many new thoughts on Charles and Diana after seeing this movie.)


Encourage one another,
Donna










26 comments:

  1. Two things: you can get really cheap and wonderful frozen tilapia at Aldi, too - Trader Joe's cousin, of course. :) We cook it almost every Friday.

    Secondly - you know Scott and I devour anything British. We watched this special when it aired last summer for the jubilee and we were utterly charmed. I really love it. Watched it again after Downton on Sunday night. I just love all of the vintage footage from the coronation; and Archbishop Michael Ramsey, who led her service, taught many years at Nashotah House near Oconomowoc, where we lived for three years and where Scott went to seminary. We are good Episcopalians/Anglicans, so we totally geek out when the royal family and the church intersects in pageantry - weddings, funerals, coronations. Those are our PEOPLE. ;) Thanks for posting it. So charming.

    Love you. Mean it!
    Stephie

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, I miss Trader Joes!

    I must find this video - it sounds wonderful.

    Downton has spurred me on to watch more British Films/Programming. Last week I watched Judi Dench in Her Majesty Mrs. Brown. It was wonderful (although no subtitles made it tough going sometimes). I think this weekend we will watch the King's Speech. I've also been meaning to watch Helen Mirren as Queen Elizabeth. I need to get myself on a schedule!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Susan. Can't you see it on your screen? Does it not work on your Swiss computer?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Usually U.S. video clips don't work - but this one does!! That will teach me not to jump to conclusions!! Probably because it's from BBC. YAY!

      Delete
    2. This comment has been removed by the author.

      Delete
    3. And AGAIN - just finished the video. How very special, truly. Thank you Donna!

      I loved the jolly parts but was especially struck when they showed Princess Margaret running up the gangway to see her sister on the royal ship -- Prince Charles really teared up when he mentioned Princess Margaret. And then again viewing the film of his Lord Mountbatten's funeral, tears in his eyes naturally. It was a very candid view of the royal family.


      Delete
  4. Amy J in WI9:26 AM

    Hi Donna, Thanks for the movie recommendation. I heard about Salmon Fishing during the Golden Globes, but I didn't know anyone who had seen it. I finally saw "Lincoln" last weekend and loved it. I also want to see "The Impossible" -- I will take Andrew, who loves all disasters.

    The fish recipe looks good...I haven't cooked fish in so long since I can't find a way to cook it that I like (that isn't fried).

    Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  5. What fish would you compare talapia to, Donna? Is it mild? I am a bit of a fish wimp. Your recipe sounds fantastic.

    Di

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think it's super mild. Cod-like, but a little smaller.....

      Delete
  6. Anonymous9:50 AM

    I will definitely have to watch Salmon Fishing. It's one I wanted to see, but missed in the theater. I have a renewed appreciation for Ewan McGregor after seeing The Impossible last weekend. It was very tough to watch, but he, Naomi Watts and the boy who played their oldest son were phenomenal. The two little boys were adorable. Bring kleenex. (Previous favorite Ewan role was Frank Churchill in Emma, so he hasn't been on my radar in quite some time!)

    And the Prince Charles show sounds wonderful! Thanks for the recommendations!

    Mary Z

    ReplyDelete
  7. I Love all things FIshing so I better go get that movie or go to the theater soon.

    Prince Charles..I always thought he was a dwebe.....you know who IS a dwebe? Lance armstrong is a dwebe...
    I think the NOrco is talking this morning....

    ReplyDelete
  8. I saw "Salmon Fishing in the Yemen" when it came out in the spring. Truly a good story and beautiful scenery, too.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Anonymous11:55 AM

    Donna - so glad you included this! I gave up cable and have SO MISSED PBS! What an absolute joy and delight! You are a dear for sharing it!

    Marci

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Anonymous7:43 PM

      PBS is on broadcast television. I do not have cable or sattelite and I get four PBS channels.

      Delete
  10. Anonymous12:27 PM

    Thanks for sharing the video about the Royals. It was fun to see Charles chuckle with delight as he watched the home movies.

    Debbie from Illinois

    ReplyDelete
  11. Cathy1:04 PM

    Thank you for sharing this! I, too, enjoyed the sneak peek!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Just finished watching the entire special and it was time well spent. Thank you for sharing. His laugh was so genuine I loved the entire thing.

    ReplyDelete
  13. All of this - this whole post, Donna. This is why I have been reading you since 2007 when I first heard of you. I love this. I love that you introduce me to new things. And I love your attitude. xo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Gosh. Thank you Kate!

      Delete
    2. Exactly, Country Girl. It's real, authentic, beautiful! That's our Donna.

      Di

      Delete
  14. I thought it was neat that the film reels were stored in a scuffed up old case much like any of us might have our home movies in.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Oh! Yum. I love tilapia. I buy frozen bags all the time. I am always afraid to bake it. I fry it in the fying pan. Frying is bad for you, isn't it?

    ReplyDelete
  16. I'm just dazzled and floored and a bit emotional after watching the royals. What an enormously great idea someone had to have the Prince of Wales watching and commenting. It's like our own director's comments. They come across SO much more human.

    His giggle is just the most winsome sound I've heard all year. That, indeed, was the best part of it all, imho.

    Thank you, thank you, thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Too weary to comment on anything other than to say I love coming here at the end of the day and "listening" to the Quiet Life found here :-)

    Blessings to you, my friend,
    Tammy ~@~

    ReplyDelete
  18. I'm so glad you loved it too!!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Oh, my goodness. Thanks again Donna! You seem to be changing my life. Downton Abbey and now this! I LOVED the film of Prince Charles and all the footage of the royal family. Certainly it showed the family wanting to just be "normal" like the rest of us...and in fact, them doing so. Your right, the Prince's responses to the footage was priceless! Princess Diana was such a jewel, it creates curiosity for me as to how it would have all turned out if they had stayed together and someday we would have looked at similar footage of them. Thanks for sharing the idea and the ability to view this after it was already on TV. The queen is truly beautiful and seems to have done a fabulous job of her reign. God save the Queen!

    ReplyDelete

Hello. So nice to see you. Would you like to leave a comment? Be very kind.