Thursday, September 22, 2005

Good morning.
It's good to be home.

I took the girls with me to the funeral yesterday. It was very nice to chat with Emma in the car. She is not very talkative so I enjoyed every little story she shared.

I tried to give her background on the aunts and uncles and cousins that she would be meeting. By the drive home, I think she has them all figured out.


We were a very close family.
We all lived in the Chicago area.
There were birthdays, christening, picnics, Greek Easter, Thanksgivings, Christmases and Weddings...

Then we moved away. Now we only see our cousins when there is a funeral.

But, you would not believe the amazing bond we feel when we see one another.
Man, everyone looks so different. But our hearts are so comfortable with one another.

The bond is strong and really surprises me.

I once read an article about bonds we form when we are very young, that these bonds are among the strongest. I believe it is true.


At one point during the wake my cousin Linda ( who is one of the cousins who just lost her mother) plopped down on a couch with myself and our cousin Karen. It was the most natural thing in the world, the three of us sitting together on that couch.
And we haven't seen or spoken to one another in ten years. Not even a Christmas card!
But we were perfectly at ease and comfortable.


This feeling was not mine alone. A few of us mentioned that it would be wonderful to get together again...not just for funerals.
Yes! I'm there :o)


So, would you like to share your experiences with family reunions?
Share the details and dos and don'ts, if you will.

I really would love to see this happen :o)

Aunt Lola was remembered as kind, loving, and never complaining.
She was the sweetest of ladies and she will be missed greatly.
It's no wonder her children are warm and loving.



Cousins are our siblings once removed,
Our relatives without the complications.
Unsatisfying as some friends may prove,
Sweet cousins are the purest of relations.
In cousins there's a friendship of the blood.
No friends can share such natural vibrations,
So long requited, honest, rich, and good.
-Nicholas Gordon



Off to start the day.

xxoo

Encourage one another,
Donna

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hello. So nice to see you. Would you like to leave a comment? Be very kind.