Thursday, February 03, 2005

Mutts





I am a mutt. Not a spiritual mutt. A religion mutt.

On the way to Awana at the Baptist church, Emma hit the nail on the head when she said, "We're mutts."

In the last 25 years we have been members and/or attended Lutheran churches, Methodist churches, Presbyterian, Orthodox Reformed, Evangelical Free, Non-denomination, Baptist Churches and the Catholic Church.

Gee, I hope I am not leaving someone out.

My beliefs have not changed. Just the pew I have been sitting in.
For a long time I was deciding where we would go to church. Now my husband is taking the lead and he feels drawn to the church of his youth, the Catholic church.

Sometimes I feel like I am on the religion roller coaster. Is believer's baptism or infant baptism the right choice? Is the bread and the wine a symbol or is it truly the blood and body of Christ? Calvinist...Armenian...Dispensation...postmillennialists...

Yikes.

And you know what I have decided; I can't decide.
I have read books and books on these subjects. I have read the Word of God.
I have read the wonderful, passionate, Reformed, Baptist and Catholic blogs--and I think they all have excellent arguments for what they believe.
I respect the great theologians who have stood their ground for what they believe.
I respect my friends who know what they believe and can back it up with the word of God.
After hearing it all. I just can't decide who is right.

And I really do wish we had a church home. I really really do. But we don't right now.

I know the Bible is true. I think the Apostle's creed to be a good reflection of the things I believe. I believe in the Trinity and the Virgin birth and the resurrection. And I believe Jesus is God.

And I believe these things are all that matters.
And without Jesus I am nothing. He is the alpha and the omega.

So here I sit on the religion fence.

I think I am here for a reason. I'm not sure what.

But, goodness gracious, these churches all have so much more in common than they have differences.

There have been faithful, Godly people and pastors at every one of the churches I have attended.

They have all been a blessing to us.
And we have, when allowed, been able to be a blessing to them.

So that's where I sit. The mutt on the fence.

A very respectful, Bible believing, God-lovin', mutt on a fence.

Donna

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hello. So nice to see you. Would you like to leave a comment? Be very kind.