Sunday, August 22, 2004

Sou Gan

You know this tune, I'll bet.

Click here to listen to a portion of Sou Gan sung by Charlotte Church.

Here are the words in the original Welch.

Welsh Lullaby

Huna blentyn yn fy mynwes,
Clyd a chynnes ydyw hon;
Breichiau mam sy'n dyn am danat,
Cariad mam sy dan fy mron;
Ni cha dim amharu'th gyntun,
Ni wna undyn รข thi gam;
Huna'n dawel, anwyl blentyn,
Huna'n fwyn ar fron dy fam.

I always wondered what language was being sung, and what they were singing.

Translated into English by Frank Petersohn from a literal translation by J. Mark Sugars.

Usually called "Sleep My Baby"

Sleep my baby, at my breast,
'Tis a mother’s arms round you.
Make yourself a snug, warm nest.
Feel my love forever new.
Harm will not meet you in sleep,
Hurt will always pass you by.
Child beloved, always you’ll keep,
In sleep gentle, mother’s breast nigh.


Now, knowing that this song is a lullaby makes the singing of it in Empire of the Sun much more significant and touching. It is the story of a boy being seperated from his parents during WWII in China...and most definitely NOT snug and warm in his mother's arms.

"Jim : I can't remember what my parents look like."
from Empire of the Sun

There is a happy ending to this true story.


Emma and I watched it when she studied WWII. It was her favorite WWII movie. (It beat out A Diary of Anne Frank and Schindler's List.)

You might like to read the book by J.G. Ballard, Empire of the Sun.

My child is calling...
Encourage one another,
Donna

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hello. So nice to see you. Would you like to leave a comment? Be very kind.