Thursday, July 19, 2007




AP photo


flickr photos

Yesterday in midtown Manhattan
NEW YORK - An underground steam pipe explosion tore through a Manhattan street near Grand Central Terminal on Wednesday during the evening rush hour, sending residents running for cover amid a towering geyser of steam.


New York Police Department spokesman Paul Browne said it was not terrorism related. A fire department spokeswoman said some people were taken to area hospitals, but no details were available. Subway service in the area was suspended because of the explosion.

A plume of steam, sometimes white and sometimes muddy brown, shot into the air from a gaping hole in the street near the train station and was as high as the nearby Chrysler Building. The air near the site was filled with debris.


This story came across my Yahoo home page.
I immediately went to see the pictures and read what had happened.
It reminded me so much of 9/11.
But it was 'just' a steam pipe breaking.

Wow.
What a steam pipe!

It must be very unnerving to live in New York.

I have felt the effects of 9/11 even living in Wisconsin.

When an airplane flies low, I wonder.
When my television shows are broken into with a 'special bulletin',
my heart beats faster.

It's a brief thing. It comes on quickly.
Fades quickly too.


Other fears come and stay longer.


There is not a whole lot to do but to be prayerful and careful.



A college student was murdered right here in Madison.
She was 22.
Right down town.
Where we go all the time.
Emma goes down there with her friends.

The killer has not be caught.

I am so angry and confused by what is going on in our country.
Everyday I hear of another young woman who is missing.
Another pregnant young mother who is missing.

Young women being killed my men.

It's horrible.

We share our beautiful planet with wicked, wicked folks.



How should we then live?




Here is what I come up with.

The great 23rd Psalm

Psalm 23
The LORD is my shepherd; I shall not want.

He maketh me to lie down in green pastures: he leadeth me beside the still waters.

He restoreth my soul: he leadeth me in the paths of righteousness for his name's sake.

Yea, though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I will fear no evil: for thou art with me; thy rod and thy staff they comfort me.

Thou preparest a table before me in the presence of mine enemies: thou anointest my head with oil; my cup runneth over.

Surely goodness and mercy shall follow me all the days of my life: and I will dwell in the house of the LORD for ever.



and a new favorite scripture.


He has shown you, O man, what is good; and what does the Lord require of you but to do justly, to love mercy, and to walk humbly with your God?
Micah 6:8




I am not feeling fearful this morning.
I just wanted to share the sadness on my heart the last few weeks as we watched the news about Kelly Nolan's disappearance and murder, so close to home.

My heart breaks for her loved ones.



Tell me. Dear Wise Friends.

How then shall we live?


Encourage one another,
Donna

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hello. So nice to see you. Would you like to leave a comment? Be very kind.