Wednesday, November 16, 2016

The Bronx is up and the Battery's down....

New York, New York.
It's a wonderful town.


On Sunday, Ryan, reminded me of the On The Town song quoted in the title today....
It would have helped Emma and I on our first few trips on the NYC Subway if I had remembered it sooner.  The whole Uptown, Downtown was tricky for us.

In Chicago Downtown is where the action is.
On Manhattan Downtown is at the bottom of the island.
Uptown is Up. on the map.

So as we tried to figure it all out...it became clear....eventually.

Our travels were a huge success. 
American Airlines was wonderful.  Not a complaint. 
When was the last time you could say that about a flight?
We knew we were lucky travelers...but we didn't dare say it.

I can say it now tho.  
Everything went perfectly.








Our Airbnb was near Houston and 4th.
The room was nice and clean and in a perfect location for us.
It was, however a fourth floor walkup and this was killer for me at the end of the day...climbing those stairs was HARD.  It was not so hard for Emma.
We felt very safe walking around and riding in the Subways.
We bought a week, unlimited Metra card for about $30 and we used it over and over and over.

Our first meal was Joe's Pizza.  Right there by our place.
Emma LOVED it.  I liked it too.







We ate our pizza sitting in this very little park.
New Yorkers love to sit in their parks.
I loved their little parks too.

And speaking of New Yorkers.
THE NICEST PEOPLE!!!






Washington Square Park.  

Gorgeous park.
Packed with people.

Now.  I don't know why I was so surprised by the hoards of people.
But I was overwhelmed by the hoards of people.

Have you been to a huge sporting event?
And at the end you all go out at the same time?
And it's a great mass of people?

That.
It was like that.

Freaked me out a little.

And it was hard to take pictures with people walking in front of you like a parade.










So I started to take pictures out of focus on purpose.






The first night we were there we went to see The Seth Meyers Show.
It was wonderful, fantastic, funny, interesting, and cool!
Emma and I both loved 30 Rock.






The flags were flapping and the lights were twinkling.






Purty






Ever day looked like this.  
New York was sunny and the trees were pretty.  We walked thru Washington Square Park the second day to find Bagel Bob's.

Bagel Bob's near NYU.
My salt bagel was really, really great!
I wish we had been a little closer to Bagel Bob's.
I would have had one every day...
for as long as we both shall live.

It was crisp on the outside and softish on the inside.





yumyumyum


Seriously.  When I go back to New York.  I'm staying by Bagel Bobs.


That's all for now.
I'll edit more pictures tomorrow after school and post them asap.


Encourage one another,
Donna







16 comments:

  1. Anonymous8:22 PM

    I love every word, every picture, everything about this post. SO GLAD it was a great trip. Cannot wait to see and hear more.

    Welcome home, Donna Elsie.

    Love you,
    DI

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love that you loved so much about what I love! Come back soon! Love, mean it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh, now I want to go back, but I want it all to be just like you had it. Good weather, good food, good flight, good company. But really, your photojournalism was the next best thing to being there.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love hearing about your trip! Can't wait for more scoop and pictures! I'm suddenly hungry for a bagel...YUM!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Anonymous12:01 AM

    Well that black and white of the banjo player is just spectacular. And the bokeh behind Emma. How I wish I had your skills. So glad the two of you had a fantastic time. I can't wait to see more photos and that bagel makes my mouth water.

    Debbie Z.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I have enjoyed following along on your trip. Almost like being there. My first real job was at a manufacturing plant. The bosses were New Yorkers. We loved it when they would make the trip down because they would always bring bagels and danishes. Nothing like I have ever had around here, so I understand the Bagel Bob obsession. ;)

    Did you take in a Broadway show?

    ReplyDelete
  7. Monica B.7:33 AM

    If we are reading about, or seeing tons of still pictures of a city with hoards of people, or watching a movie with hoards of people moving about, it is not the same as standing in, and moving about with the hoards of people. One is surely to be overwhelmed. We truly get to have the experience through being in the adventure. It was wonderful seeing you and Emma in NYC! - Big Hug.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Amy J in WI7:48 AM

    It sounds like a wonderful weekend! Good flights, good weather, good company and good food. What more can you ask for??

    ReplyDelete
  9. So enjoyed this, Donna! Everything. I've lived in New York state for 23 years but have never visited NYC (Shhh. Don't tell anyone.). But now you make me want to go! So happy you had a great time.... Debra

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Debra, I live 2 hrs. from NYC and I've never been there either.

      Delete
  10. I could look at your photos ALL day long! Your trip sounds absolutely wonderful.

    Except for the stairs. Oy!

    More, please - tell us more:)

    ReplyDelete
  11. I still want to know if you cried.

    These pictures...all of them...are fantastic!!!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Anonymous5:22 PM

    These are a feast for the eyes. I just love it. Especially the out of focus ones. How do you do that? I really think you should be illustrating travel books. Or magazines. Or something. You capture the beauty everywhere you go.

    I've been wanting to tell you, and was just reminded because their comments are next to each other...I always assumed the Mary Z. and Debbie Z. were sisters. When I met Mary Z. in person, she disabused me of that notion. But I still laugh when I think about it!

    Hugs, Carol

    ReplyDelete
  13. Oh! That's funny.
    Thank you for the great compliment. I would love that job!!

    ReplyDelete

Hello. So nice to see you. Would you like to leave a comment? Be very kind.