Sunday, October 31, 2004

From Luther's Little Instruction Book

How a Father Should Teach His Household
to Conduct Morning and Evening Devotions

Morning Devotions

As soon as you get out of bed in the morning, you should bless yourself with the sign of the Holy Cross and say:

May the will of God, the Father, the Son and the Holy Spirit be done! Amen.

Then, kneeling or standing, say the creed and pray the Lord's Prayer. If you wish, you may then pray this little prayer as well:

My Heavenly Father, I thank You, through Jesus Christ, Your beloved Son, that You kept me safe from all evil and danger last night. Save me, I pray, today as well, from every evil and sin, so that all I do and the way that I live will please you. I put myself in your care, body and soul and all that I have. Let Your holy Angels be with me, so that the evil enemy will not gain power over me. Amen.

After that, with joy go about your work and perhaps sing a song inspired by the Ten Commandments or your own thoughts.

-Martin Luther

"How a Father Should Teach His Household
to Conduct Morning and Evening Devotions"


And I thought all of this talk about fathers being the spiritual head of the family was a recent phenomenon.

Nothing is new under the sun.

Does anyone know who said that? Probably Shakespeare.




Happy Sunday...Reformation Day...Harvest Day...Halloween,
Donna

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hello. So nice to see you. Would you like to leave a comment? Be very kind.