Tuesday, October 10, 2006



You absolutely must click on the picture to see the shawl I am planning to make.
Sorry for the sub-standard photo.

The sawtooth border is very pretty! I like how it flaps over to make a sort of collar.



What color should I knit it in?





The Opinionated Knitter by Elizabeth Zimmermann
(author and model of the shawl pictured above)

Most people have and obsession; mine is knitting.
Your hobby may be pie-baking, playing the piano, or potbelly-stove collecting, and you can sympathize with my enthusiasm, having an obsession of your own. Will you forgive my single-mindedness, and my tendency to see knitting in everything?

Carvings and sculpture remind me only of Aran and other textured designs;when I see a beautiful print my first thought is how it would adapt to color pattern knitting...

So please bear with me, and put up with my opinionated, nay, sometimes cantankerous attitude. I feel strongly about knitting...

Properly practiced, knitting soothes the troubled spirit, and it doesn't hurt the untroubled spirit either.

When I say properly practiced, I mean executed in a relaxed manner, without anxiety, strain, or tension, but with confidence, inventiveness, pleasure, and ultimate pride.

If you hate to knit, why, bless you, don't; follow your secret heart and take up something else. But if you start out knitting with enjoyment, you will probably continue in this pleasant path.



Elizabeth encourages me to wander and learn.

I have always been a pattern follower. Strictly.

(Tell me exactly what yarn to buy and what needles to use and how many inches to knit. I'm comfortable with that. There lies safety. No frogging necessary)

Elizabeth is a 'learn by doing sort of knitter.'

So is my friend Lynn.

With those two for knitting encouragement, I am sure to learn something new...

it's kind of exciting.



I hope I can do so in a relaxed manner :o)


Encourage one another...and as Elizabeth says;

"Knit on, with confidence and hope, through all crises"

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hello. So nice to see you. Would you like to leave a comment? Be very kind.