Tuesday, February 28, 2006

The Kitchen Meme





1. How many meals does most of your family eat at home each week? How many are in your family?

We eat most of our meals at home. Last week we ate out twice. Patrick and I went to Outback on Saturday night and Sunday after church we all went to the Village Bar for delicious burgers and fries and ketchup.

2. How many cookbooks do you own?

Twenty-three .

3. How often do you refer to a cookbook each week?

A few times a week.

4. Do you collect recipes from other sources?

I collect recipes from friends and from personal websites. If I like a recipe I ask for a copy. This is really my main source.

5. How do you store those recipes?

I keep my most frequently used recipes in a quilted envelope.

6. When you cook, do you follow the recipe pretty closely, or do you use recipes primarily to give you ideas?

I do follow the recipe very closely...until I have it memorized.

7. Is there a particular ethnic style or flavor that predominates in your cooking? If so, what is it?

50's American :o)

8. What's your favorite kitchen task related to meal planning and preparation?

Tasting.


9. What's your least favorite part?

Cleaning up.

10. Do you plan menus before you shop?

Not really. I have a general idea of the staples that we need (frozen French fries, bagels, tomato sauce) I buy chicken and ground beef almost weekly and then I choose from the other meats that are on sale.
I also buy frozen foods from the Schwanns man. Having frozen foods to choose from helps us quite a bit here at Chez Booshay.
For instance last night. I prepared Chicken Kiev, Chicken Cordon Blu, Emma made Mac and Cheese (from the blue box) and Patrick ate Sloppy Joes with Ore-Ida French fries.
With the girls not feeling well and hungry...and hubby coming home late....
dinners can be crazy like this.
When we were growing up (with seven children in the family) our mother would prepare one meal for us at lunch and at dinner. If we requested something different or complained we heard, "This is not a restaurant!"


11. What are your three favorite kitchen tools or appliances?

Our fridge...so that my pop is nice and cold.
Clean washcloths!
Garlic press :o)

12. If you could buy one new thing for your kitchen, money was no object, and space not an issue, what would you most like to have?

I would love to have a farm sink!

13. Since money and space probably are objects, what are you most likely to buy next?

Paper towels :o)

14. Do you have a separate freezer for storage?

No. Sometimes I wish we did, because our freezer is skinny. But I wonder if the energy it takes to run a freezer would be costly.

15. Grocery shop alone or with others?

Katie and I go together quite a bit. I like to grocery shop :o) We have a great little grocery store in our town. It is 104 years old.
It's one of my favorite things about our town.


16. How many meatless main dish meals do you fix in a week?

None for hubby....but the girls and I eat noodles and soups every week.

17. If you have a decorating theme in your kitchen, what is it? Favorite kitchen colors?

Nope...no theme.
If I could plan a kitchen I would have light cabinets, a wood floor, and a vintage stove.

18. What's the first thing you ever learned to cook, and how old were you?
I suppose it was Tollhouse cookies....or pop corn.

19. How did you learn to cook? I learned to cook from my mother. I specifically remember learning to make spaghetti and gravy and green peppers from her. I would help braise the beef. She would put some in a bowl for me with a little extra salt and pepper :o)
And then I was pretty much on my own.

20. Tag two other people to play. Want to play? Let me know where I can read your answers. You can answer any or all of the questions in the comments if you don't have a blog.

Tagged by Amy

Encourage one another,
Donna

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hello. So nice to see you. Would you like to leave a comment? Be very kind.