Saturday, September 16, 2006





It's all about the yarn with these chunky mittens.

You might remember (if you have a mind like a steel trap) that this yarn was made into a cute little hat for Katie. It was, however, a bit small.

And this yarn is too precious to be buried on a shelf...so I unwound two little hats and made this pair of mittens.

These will be worn. For years to come.

(I have never knit mittens with a rolled up cuff, this was an experiment that went well. One more thing, they were fast. Just a few hours and they were done. )


I watched Mona Lisa Smile while I knit these mittens.

Have you seen that movie?

I like it very much. Especially because someone shared my 'voice'.

Joan Brandwyn: It was my choice... not to go. He would have supported it.
Katherine Watson: But you don't have to choose.
Joan Brandwyn: No, I have to. I want a home; I want a family, that's not something I'll sacrifice.
Katherine Watson: No-one's asking you to sacrifice that, Joan, I just want you to understand you can do both.
Joan Brandwyn: Do you think I'll wake up one morning and regret not being a lawyer?
Katherine Watson: Yes, I'm afraid that you will.
Joan Brandwyn: Not as much as I regret not having a family, not being there to raise them. I know exactly what I'm doing and it doesn't make me any less smart.
[Katherine looks down]
Joan Brandwyn: This must seem terrible to you.
Katherine Watson: I didn't say that.
Joan Brandwyn: Sure you did. You always do. You stand in class and tell us to look beyond the image, but you don't. To you a housewife is someone who sold her soul for a center hall colonial. She has no depth, no intellect, no interests. You're the one who said I could do anything I wanted. This is what I want.


Great speech, earnestly given.

Mona Lisa Smile was also beautiful and nostalgic to look at and brought to light a few more interesting issues. (I borrowed the movie two days later from the library and watched it with Emma.)

I looked beyond the image and my own preconceived notions....
and enjoyed the movie.


It is breathtakingly beautiful outside today, I must think of some way to make the most of it.

Perhaps the zoo?


Have a lovely weekend!

Encourage one another,
Donna

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hello. So nice to see you. Would you like to leave a comment? Be very kind.