Monday, February 04, 2008

Happy Monday everyone!

I was a cooking fool over the weekend.

I made two batches of Chicken Spaghetti and Chicken Soup in the crockpot.
And I made the following delicious soup.

Melene shared this soup recipe in the comments last week.
It is nameless.
But I made it Sunday and it was very tasty!

P1010100


Nameless Soup


1 lb Italian Sausage
1 large onion, chopped
3 cloves garlic, minced
2 T olive oil
2 bunches kale (center rib removed)
1 can cannellini beans, rinsed and drained
2 lbs unpeeled small potatoes, washed and sliced
2 qts chicken broth
salt to taste
red pepper flakes
pinch of dried thyme flakes
1 C cream
Crumble and brown sausage until no longer pink, then drain. Set sausage aside. In a large soup pot, fry onions in olive oil until translucent. Add garlic and cook briefly. Add chicken broth, beans and sausage to pot and simmer for about 30 minutes. Cut kale into medium shred and add with potatoes. Add thyme, salt and red pepper Simmer for another 30 minutes and add the cream just before serving. (Do not boil after you add the cream or it will curdle.)


Like Melene, I used fresh spinach instead of kale.
And I just realized that I used only one large clove of garlic instead of three.
Oops.
I tell ya, you can just call me the Accidental Chef.

Thank you Melene!

P1010097


I liked that it didn't have tomatoes in it. Seems like so many of my soups have tomatoes in them and this was just a really nice change.


I made one more thing. Something for my husband.

He would not eat any of the other things I prepared, just not his kind of food.

But when he asked me, "What am I having for dinner?"

I had the answer that I knew would make him happy.

"How would you like some bacon?" I chirped.

"Good." He grunted.


And so it was.

I fried a pound of bacon for my husband.

And well, Katie too.

Katie doesn't like my recipes either so she also thought bacon was the perfect dinner, too.

Patrick had his bacon on a sandwich with butter and mayo.
He had chips and cottage cheese with that. And a big glass of milk.

Katie had a Toaster Strudel with two pieces of perfect Oscar Mayer Bacon on the side.

(The bacon was on sale. Two for six dollars. That's a good deal.)


My Sunday labor of love.

Frying bacon.




Tell us about an oddball menu that you serve at your home.


Encourage one another,
Donna

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hello. So nice to see you. Would you like to leave a comment? Be very kind.