Wednesday, November 16, 2005

Do you know what I just love?
I love when my children read a book I recommend, and love it too.

(And I love when they love a movie that I love too :o)


Emma is currently reading "Pillars of the Earth" by Ken Follett. This is not a masterpiece of fiction. But I thought it was interesting historical fiction and remember really liking it...oh say...12 years ago.
And how do I know she is loving it? She totes it around the house and reads it at every spare moment. Just like me :o)
Many books stay up on the nightstand; where they are read dutifully, every night.
But a book that makes it out of the bedroom. That's a keeper.

I borrowed "The Count of Monte Cristo" from the library yesterday. I have decided it is time to read this hefty tome. I have read quite a bit of fluff lately and I have enjoyed it, but my sister Janet's enthusiasm over reading "To Kill A Mockingbird" has given me a little literary push. (I love when my sisters read a book that I love too :o)

You see Janet has never read "To Kill A Mockingbird" before and she loved it so much and thinks it was the best book she has ever read. And, you know, it is great fun discussing a classic.

And maybe that is the key to a classic. That it is well written and it has ideas.

Fluff is not discussed well. A classic is.

And maybe that is why "Angela's Ashes" is a classic. Because even though I hated that book...I hated it because it caused me such anguish. And I am still thinking about it and discussing it.

A book club would be fun wouldn't it?
I know I would love it.
I know I could just read books with Emma and discuss them, but I have a hard time coming up with the questions.
I like those thoughtful kinds of questions.

(I'm starting to feel like Winnie the Pooh :o)

In "To Kill A Mockingbird", was the mockingbird, Jem, Boo or Tom?
(Janet, was there a fourth name?)

Now that is a good question. I like thinking about it.

I think I need a literary do over.

Anyone want to read The Count of Monte Cristo with me?

I am going to savor it.


Did I ever tell you I was a late bloomer?


Encourage one another,
Donna

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hello. So nice to see you. Would you like to leave a comment? Be very kind.