Monday, November 21, 2005

Harvest Home





Come, ye thankful people, come,
Raise the song of harvest home:
All is safely gathered in,
Ere the winter storms begin;
God, our Maker, doth provide
For our wants to be supplied:
Come to God's own temple, come,
Raise the song of harvest home.


All the world is God's own field,
Fruit unto His praise to yield;
Wheat and tares together sown,
Unto joy or sorrow grown;
First the blade, and then the ear,
Then the full corn shall appear:
Lord of harvest, grant that we
Wholesome grain and pure may be.


For the Lord our God shall come,
And shall take His harvest home;
From His field shall in that day
All offenses purge away;
Give His angels charge at last
In the fire the tares to cast;
But the fruitful ears to store
In His garner evermore.


Even so, Lord, quickly come
To Thy final harvest home;
Gather Thou Thy people in,
Free from sorrow, free from sin;
There, forever purified,
In Thy presence to abide:
Come, with all Thine angels, come,
Raise the glorious harvest home.


~~Henry Alford, 1810-1871


Harvest Home and We Gather Together are my favorite Thanksgiving hymns.
We sang them in church and at school.

We had a wonderful Music class in Wheaton. It wasn't choir, it was Music class.
We sat in desks, in rows, and stood with our Music books and sang. We did not sing in parts. We may have sung in rounds from time to time.

We sang traditional songs.

I remember singing songs from Sound of Music, National Anthems, Thanksgiving songs and A Bicycle Built for Two (turn of the century songs).

That class is a very vague memory.
But the songs remain.
And I still love them.

Music is a magical thing.

**************


Go over and visit Linda's scrapbook page.
I love to see how people express their creativity.
Linda's scrapbook pages are amazing.


***************

This week we wait for Wednesday when the boys will come home.
The excitement in my heart is building.

Janie's daughter is out of Iraq and heading home to her family and her country after a year of difficult and dangerous service. Janie has had to be so brave this past year. I personally think it would be too much for me to bare to have my child in constant peril for so long. I know absolutely that I could not do it without God's tremendous comfort. It would be a time when I knew for sure that God was doing all the work...and I would be carried by Him. Cause that's the only way I could handle such stress.

A very special Thanksgiving to Janie and her family.
Emily is on her way home...Emily is on her way home.
To God be the Glory
Great things He hath done.


***********


So tell us about your stuffing/dressing.
We do not use corn bread here in the North.
But it seems pretty popular on the cooking channel.
I love stuffing....and I am the only one who eats it in my family. Isn't that sad.
Mrs. Boucher loved my stuffing. I miss that about her.


Encourage one another,
Donna

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hello. So nice to see you. Would you like to leave a comment? Be very kind.