Wednesday, November 02, 2005

Seen and Heard

I finished reading The Nanny Diaries a few nights ago.
I knew it was fluff going into it.
So when I closed the book, I was a little depressed and thought,

Is that all there is?
Is that all there is?

It was fun being a voyeur. Peeking at the ultra rich being ultra ridiculous, self-loving and rude.
But at the end of the book when Nanny doesn't even tell Mrs. X off and walks out the door with her tail between her legs...and nothing changes or is learned...well...yuck.


So I read- which is good.
I thought-yeah, I thought, 'why am I reading this'.
And I learned-choose your books more wisely Donna.

There are too many great books to read...
And I am not the fastest reader :o)


**************


And then yesterday, Emma and I watched "Sunday in the Park with George."
This is the Pulitzer Prize winning Steven Sondheim play about Geroge Seurat.

It was rich, and layered and thought provoking.
I highly recommend it! Especially to Art History students....and students of theater.

And the set direction in the play is remarkable and clever and worth the price of the ticket :o)
(We had fun sitting with a copy of the original painting "A Sunday Afternoon on the Island of La Grande Jatte." while we were watching the play)

This is the kind of play that grows on you.
And leaves you thinking.


After about an hour of watching the play I say to Katie (who has been running in and out of the room) Do you know, that man is Inigo Montoya from The Princess Bride?
(Katie and Emma just watched The Princess Bride, last weekend)
And Emma says, "It is?"

Now I must dig out my dusty old Mandy Patinkin tapes so Emma can hear more of Mandy's beautiful singing.


************

How many of you managed to stay dry eyed at the end of The Amazing Race last night?
So sad to see this sweet family and their nice little children go. I hope they got to stay and visit and rest up before heading home.

There I go...always looking for the happy ending.


Encourage one another,
Donna

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hello. So nice to see you. Would you like to leave a comment? Be very kind.