Wednesday, April 05, 2006

Something special happened while you were asleep last night!

At two minutes and three seconds after 1:00 in the morning, the time and date was 01:02:03 04/05/06.

We love this sort of thing :o)

My son alerts me to the upcoming...

06/06/06

But, for today, write your checks and date your papers with glee.

"We may never pass this way again."

And while we're at it.

Name the artist's who sang that tune? No Google allowed :o)


**********

In even bigger news, I finished Anna Karenina this morning.

The character's depth and introspection was very appealing to me.

I started skimming the political discussions near the end of the book.

And searched for Levin and Anna and Vronsky and Kitty's names.

When Kitty was just about to go into labor (which is the height of fascination for me) Tolstoy took us away to about 8 chapters of political talk. There was no way I was going to wade through all of that!

Was Tolstoy building suspense?

Well...if he was, I didn't go for it...I was like a person walking through a crowded hall, making a bee line to the door and shoving people aside like little clown punching bags!

The birthing chapters did not disappoint.

Levin, the agnostic, prays;

'Lord have mercy! Pardon and help us!' he repeated the words that suddenly and unexpectedly sprang to his lips. And he, an unbeliever, repeated those words not with his lips only. At that instant he knew that neither his doubts nor the impossibility of believing with his reason-- of which he was conscious--at all prevented his appealing to God. It all flew of like dust. To whom should he appeal, if not to Him in whose hands he felt himself, his soul, and his love, to be?'


Levin searches his soul for the meaning of life (among other things) until the last page in the book.

It is interesting to note the fate of Anna who loved herself most and did not think of others. And Levin who was always mindful of others.

I am reading the Norton Critical Edition of Anna Karenina so I have many essays to look at before I return this book to the library. I think I will spend a little more time with this book...to think on it's themes.


Two big classics in four months.

I guess that's okay.

Pride and Prejudice by Jane Austen and Real Sex by Lauren Winner, on deck.


What's on your reading 'deck'?


Encourage one another,
Donna

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hello. So nice to see you. Would you like to leave a comment? Be very kind.