Thursday, January 12, 2006

The excitement is building.
The nerves are starting to get a bit rattled.

Tomorrow is the first day of sign language class.

I will be teaching 23 children in two different classes.

This is a very large group for me to teach. I don't doubt I can do it. It's just that there are many unknowns...and that is the scary part.

Such as how long to spend on fingerspelling.
Should I pause on let them practice for a few minutes during class.
Which nursery rhyme should I teach? Will the older group think it is too babyish...

Those sorts of worries....
Which will sort themselves out, I am sure.

Here is the book we will be using.




Oh...I hope they like it!


Yesterday, Katie and I worked very long and hard on learning nine books of the New Testament for Awana; Galatians, Ephesians, Philippians, Colossians, 1 & 2 Thessalonians, 1 & 2 Timothy and Titus.

Well, I might as well have been teaching her Greek (he he) cause, man, these weird words just were not sticking. And I wish you could have heard her say Thessalonians!

We tried; repeat after me. Nope. Not workin'

I got out the Bible and explained that all of these names are people that Paul was writing letters to.
I showed her a map...showed her Ephesus...where the Ephesians are from. Still not clicking.
We went to the piano. I found a little booklet with the New Testament books written to a cute little song. We sang it. Again and again and again.

She still couldn't remember those big, strange sounding words.

"Well, honey...we tried. You tell your teacher we tried really hard to learn these!"

"They will help me." said Katie.

And, they did. They gave her a pass on those books of the Bible. I wish I could have seen all the prompting it took! I am very grateful for an understanding teacher!

Can you tell that I stressed over this....way more than Katie did?

Yikes!

Encourage one another,
Donna

Thank you for the thoughtful comments, yesterday.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hello. So nice to see you. Would you like to leave a comment? Be very kind.