Monday, November 26, 2007

Today is our 27th Anniversary.


Shania Twain - You're Still The One

(When I first saw you, I saw love.
And the first time you touched me, I felt love.
And after all this time, you're still the one I love.)

Looks like we made it
Look how far we've come my baby
We mighta took the long way
We knew we'd get there someday

Bridge:
They said, "I bet they'll never make it"
But just look at us holding on
We're still together still going strong

Chorus:
(You're still the one)
You're still the one I run to
The one that I belong to
You're the one I want for life
(You're still the one)
You're still the one that I love
The only one I dream of
You're still the one I kiss good night

Ain't nothin' better
We beat the odds together
I'm glad we didn't listen
Look at what we would be missin'



I'm so glad we made it
Look how far we've come my baby...



***************


My husband is not too sentimental, so I don't think he would choose a song for us.
But I think this one says it.

What I do know and I want to share today on our anniversary, is that marriages can be healed.

Terribly broken marriages can be healed.

I am sharing this because over the weekend I spoke with a woman who has been married 37 years and we talked about having a long marriage. As we discussed how it was worth it to work thru the difficult times I realized that those of us who have 'made it' perhaps don't share the good parts. That it really is worth it.


To be respectful, I will not go into details, but I can say that our marriage was pretty broken at one time.
Hanging by a very thin thread.

The reason we are still married;

Faith in God and what He wants for us.
Patrick's commitment.
My commitment.


While God was always there, our commitment wavered.


When Patrick was determined to quit. I was determined to stay.

But miraculously, when I was ready to quit. Patrick was determined to stay. Very determined.

If this hadn't been the case....we wouldn't be together.


And the blessings we would have missed.

We would not have had Katie.
We would not be growing older together.
We would not be growing in the Lord together.

We would have missed out on so many laughs and kisses and hugs and days.

I know that Patrick loves me, now, so much more than we were young.
He has grown gentle and kind and accepting. He is a different man.

I know that I love Patrick more than I ever loved him before.
I have grown less critical, more forgiving, and lots more loving.


Somehow. God healed out hearts.
He grew more love in them.

I didn't think it was possible.
But it's true.



Seems we had to go thru the dark night first in our marriage.
Now we are experiencing beautiful rays of light.


I had this Bible verse on the wall next to my bed for about three years. When I woke up I could read it.
I believed that God was telling me something.


"For I know the plans I have for you," declares the Lord, "plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future."

Jeremiah 29:11


His plans for us are such a blessing.

We are very thankful to be married to one another.

Our future is full of hope.




May you find this an encouragement,

Donna

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hello. So nice to see you. Would you like to leave a comment? Be very kind.