Monday, December 20, 2004

Checked out.

Ambra asked her readers to share what they were reading on Friday. It's been a while since I asked that same question...

So whatcha reading? What's on that nightstand?
Here's my list;

Expecting Adam:A True Story of Birth, Rebirth, and Everyday Magic by Martha Beck
Jane Austen by Claire Tomalin
Miniatures & Morals by Peter Leithart
The Other Wise Man by Van Dyke/Pamela Kennedy
The Pat Conroy Cookbook

It's a good lineup...

________________

Homeschooling a High Schooler


A most often asked question I hear when it comes to homeschooling a high school age child is 'How do you teach all of subjects...the math!, the sciences!...

I have always taken a one year at a time approach. I knew the time would come when I would have to reach out and ask for help.

We have reached out in three subjects this year.

Firstly, Geometry. I choose Math U See Geometry. This was a leap of faith. I wanted a geometry program that utilized DVD's and straightforward workpages.
I found this program at a homeschool convention last spring.
Emma is understanding and doing very well.
Success!

Secondly, Chemistry. I 'happened' upon a young woman who teaches our local high schoolers Biology and Chemistry in her home. Mrs. Beck is a brilliant, friendly, gentle teacher. Class is held on Tuesdays for 2 1/2 hours. The six girls work on experiments during this time. They are using the Apologia Chemistry book and the girls in the class also get together and work on assignments together.
Emma is doing very well in this class...and I am happy to see her have success in a class where I am not the only judge of her abilities.
Very good experience!

She is also taking an English course from The Potter's School. This is an on-line class. (I was trying a bit of everything :o) This class is going well. Emma does find sitting at the computer for this class a bit long and boring. My main intention for this class was to have Emma's essays graded by someone who knew what to look for in a 10th grade paper. This we have found, but I am not sure that it is beneficial enough to take another on-line class.
Mild success.

So there you have it. I have always thought Emma a wonderful student. She is diligent and straightforward. I am so pleased to see her do well in her new experiences. Her new courses have pushed her harder than her mother usually does and she has stepped up to the plate and hit it out of the park in most cases.
Very good indeed!

Ahem...speaking of diligent...Emma has a friend visiting from out of town. Marie arrived last night and the girls thought to watch part of Pride and Prejudice at around 11:00pm. Well, I heard them quietly coming to bed at about 4:00 am....
me thinks they watched the whole thing :o)

Encourage one another...and tell me what you are reading,
Donna

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hello. So nice to see you. Would you like to leave a comment? Be very kind.