Wednesday, August 06, 2008

Marianne walking


Tivo is still recording Masterpiece Theater/ Janet Austen shows for me. They are on their second time thru but I will still turn one on as background noise in the afternoon

Yesterday Marianne, upon realizing Brandon's exemplary character, says the following.


“It is not what we say or feel that makes us what we are. It is what we do. Or fail to do."


The most basic lessons on character and behavior are taught with romance and grace in nearly every one of the Austen movies.

Must Sees;

Pride and Prejudice (BBC)
Sense and Sensibility (Emma Thompson)
Emma (Gweneth Paltrow...Why couldn't she have an easy to spell name like Apple?)



“It is not what we say or feel that makes us what we are. It is what we do. Or fail to do."


But this quote. I love it so much.


****


About ten years ago a Pastor at a church we attended up north covered this topic from them pulpit.

He said it was an Indian saying, but my googling found it attributed to someone else.
That's okay. It's valuable no matter who said it.

"You never really find out what is inside a man until he is bumped and you see what spills out."
Carl Lundquist

Anyway, how I react under pressure comes from the abundance of my heart. When everything is going my way it’s easy to play “holy”. But, when the world spins out of control and I get blind-sided…when my “vessel” gets tipped over, what spills out? If I have an abundance of God’s spirit and word in my heart, that’s what spills out all over everybody around me. If I filled my heart with anger, impure thoughts, fear, etc. then that’s what spills out.
~Joe @worship concepts.net



I looked at myself and what was spilling out was horrid.

Looking at the list of the fruits of the spirit convinced me that I was filled with lots of gunk.

"The fruit of the Spirit is love, joy, peace, patience, kindness,
goodness, faithfulness, gentleness, and self-control."


I did not have most of those fruits in my life at the time.

I was shocked. And dismayed.

But time, serious spiritual work and the Holy Spirit slowly brought those fine qualities back into
my soul.


I haven't had quite so rough a bump in a long time so I can't say
what kind of stuff I will spill...I hope I have grown in the right places
over the last years....but only a bump will tell, I suppose.


My latest speeding ticket says a little something about my patience and self-control.....



Have your heard this 'saying' before?

Do you find it hard to hear?



Encourage one another,
Donna

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hello. So nice to see you. Would you like to leave a comment? Be very kind.